SOCIAL MEDIA

Saturday, August 4, 2018

How To Stay Motivated in The "Off" Season

Well, July is officially over. That means that summer is already half over for us here on the East Coast. I feel like I've been running a marathon these past few weeks. My mind has been racing with ideas.. but I've totally been lacking in the motivation department! I've been trying really hard to focus and to organize myself and my time. I had all of these plans to get on a schedule with blogging, designing and social media -- but it just hasn't worked out. I blame it on the heat and the lack of child-free time. It's a definite struggle, but I'm pulling through and I'm determined to stay motivated. I put some thought into the things that have been working for me and the things that haven't ..and I decided to share some of my tricks for pulling back and staying on track. Here's to the last few weeks of summer ..



Here are my top tips for staying motivated in the "off" season.

6 ways to become more organized and focused in your down time.


1. Avoid time-wasters, such as:
  • Striving for perfection. I'm obsessive over getting things done "just right" and it's been a real struggle for me to get through that. Look, no one is perfect! It's time to accept it. Just keep reminding yourself, "Done is better than perfect." You don't want to be stuck, never moving forward. "Done" will get you somewhere.
  • Having no "time boundaries". When it comes to social media, I struggle a lot and I'm sure many of you do too. It's best to choose a time when you don't have any distractions. For me, that's usually early morning. I try to like a few photos and get my posts up as quick as I can - before moving on. It's easy to get sucked in to the black hole that is the internet. My new rule is, "Work first, scroll Instagram later!" So, I use my breaks through out the day to check in and respond to all the emails and comments that I missed while working.
  • Comparing yourself to others. That, and constantly trying to be "the first" at everything. It's exhausting. In fact, I find it to be a hindrance on my creativity. Stop worrying about what everyone else is doing and start thinking about what YOU are doing! Always stay true to YOU and continue to create the things you love!!
  • Trying to please everyone. Focus on you. It's ok to say "No." when it's not really something you want to do.

2. Stop multi-tasking and trying to do everything at once.
Focus on one thing at a time. You're going to get your project done much quicker and you'll be able to work more efficiently. Sticking with one project means you're familiar with all parts of the project. There's no flip-flopping back and forth - confusing yourself on the stitch or technique that you used.

3. Set goals and deadlines for yourself.
Setting goals and deadlines will help you stay on track when getting things done. Know what helps even more? Sharing those goals! Let your friends and family know -- they will hold you accountable!

4. Make yourself a daily TO-DO list.
Prioritize your tasks each day and check them off as you complete them. When you see those things written down in front of you, it puts it all into perspective. You will feel SO much more accomplished!

5. De-clutter and organize your workspace.
Tidying up your workspace will help give you the space you need to get to work! It's super important to have all of your supplies in their own spaces -- so you can see what you have -- and what you need.

6. Learn something new.
If you find yourself stuck in a creative rut, not wanting to do the things you usually love.. TAKE A BREAK! A few hours is all you need to create or learn something new. It doesn't even have to be in your normal wheelhouse. Try learning how to dye yarn, or do macramé. Learning something new always pulls me out of a creative block and inspires me.

Everything you need to quilt and sew at Craftsy.com

Are you having trouble staying motivated? Which of these tips do you plan to put to use? I really have to focus on #1. I waste so much time striving for perfection and trying to be "the best". It's a work-in-progress but I think I'm getting there. I hope all of these tips and tricks help you stay on track -- and get organized - for a more productive small business!


Happy Hookin'

2 comments :

  1. Thanks, for such a great post. I have tried and found it really helpful. For more details to visit fiber reinforced concrete.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for this valuable post. For more ways please visit Motivation

    ReplyDelete