SOCIAL MEDIA

Tuesday, August 29, 2017

BTS: Designing a Crochet Sweater


I recently finished my second crochet sweater (third if you count that one that I didn't design myself) and I decided not to write up a pattern for this one. I did this, in particular.. because I wanted to have the freedom to kind of go with the flow for this design. So, since I don't have a pattern to share, I thought I'd share a little bit of the behind the scenes stuff involved with designing a garment pattern. Maybe to inspire you to create a sweater of your own!


Designing is my most favorite part of the entire process. Sure, I love that accomplished feeling I get every time I make something new and finally can wear it ..but designing is where my hearts at. I enjoy every part -- from coming up with an idea, to finding the right stitch & picking a yarn.

Plain and simple.. there's a lot of trial and error when it comes to creating a garment, it's definitely more involved (not like whipping up a beanie).. it takes more thought - but the possibilities are nearly endless. Plus, it's fun and you will feel incredibly proud and accomplished when you finally have that finished piece of clothing that you can wear! If you've never tried, give it a go! I promise, you won't be disappointed.

Check out my checklist to help you design a garment of your own.

Coming up with an idea..
If you follow me on Instagram.. you can probably tell that I'm a less-is-more type of person. I like simple style. If there's one thing I hate fashion-wise.. it's having to adjust my clothes to feel comfortable. That's why I love creating my own pieces. I can make them exactly how I like. So, take some time.. think of your favorite store-bought cardigan or pullover. Or maybe something you wish you could buy, but is just too pricey for you to afford. Now, go and make it yourself! Think. Take notes. How can you take that piece, in that style or fit ..and make it unique to you?
Drawing up your idea..
I am not an artist. I repeat. I am NOT an artist. Both my mother and brother got that genius trait. It skipped right over little old me. The silver lining? You don't have to be artistically-inclined to be a crochet or knit designer! You just have to know your craft! A simple sketch will do. Think of the design you have in mind. Think of the texture you're going for. It doesn't have to be pretty, it just needs to serve as a reminder of what you're going for! I use an app on my ipad called "Sketches".



Deciding on the style/fit..
Like I said before, I always go for comfy over cute. I also have a hell of a lot of neutral & black clothing. So, that's where I usually start. I want a comfortable piece that will look nice on my body type. Something that is easy to wear with anything and will never go out-of-style. You may want something completely different. That's OK! We're all unique and that's why this is where it really helps if you go through your closet and look at some of your favorite pieces for style inspiration.



Finding the right stitch..
I see a lot of makers (crocheters mainly) discussing this lately. A stitch is a stitch guys. Please, don't drive yourself crazy trying to come up with some super hard stitch for your first garment. Of course, you will see items similar to what you're making. Stitches are learned. They're free for all to use. Just because your sweater is made using single and double crochet stitches.. doesn't mean it will look like every sweater that's been made with the same. Add unique details. Skip a stitch. Create a pattern -- in the pattern. Or simply add serious texture with the right yarn! I like to keep it fairly simple - so it doesn't turn into a "forever project" and then throw in some texture. Many patterns have been made with the most simple of stitches. My favorite stitch is the HDC (half double crochet). You'll see it in a lot of my patterns. Works up quicker than a single crochet and isn't as complicated as a double. It doesn't have to be a never-before-seen stitch for your design to work and flow and be amazing!

Choosing yarn type/texture..
I think this step, is everyone's favorite! You've got the idea in your head. You've sketched it out, picked a style, thought of all the details.. now you're ready to move on to the final step! Choosing your yarn. What color? What weight? What fiber? Well, this is where your personal preference will come in. Chunky is in. It's popular as hell, so if you like it.. you can't go wrong with that decision (especially if you plan to sell the item)! I personally prefer light weight yarns for garments, but.. that's just me! Guys, I could really discuss yarn and fiber all day.. so I'm going to stop myself here and just leave you to decide what you like best for what you're making! If you're stumped and not sure what to go with, there is tons of help and inspiration out there. Just have a quick look around!

My favorite places for inspiration are Pinterest, Instagram and Ravelry!

Post a Comment